- Graduated from Sir George Williams University, Montreal in 1969
- Studied painting with Roy Kiyooka & Jean Goguen
- Attended photography workshops in Montreal with Lee Friedlander (1975) and in New York with Gary Winogrand (1979)
New York Inside Out with introduction by William Burroughs, Oxford University Press, Toronto, 1984
Colour is Power with introduction by Max Kozloff, Thames and Hudson, London, 2000 with foreign editions published by Steidl in Germany, Ludion in the Netherlands and Musée de l’Elysée, Switzerland
Curated the exibition Camerart for Galerie Optica (24 Quebec artists using cameras), Montreal;
Commissioned catalogue essays from Les Levine, Pierre Vallières & Chantal Pondbriand, 1975.
Curated the exhibition Halsman’79 (with Cornell Capa) – a retrospective exhibition of the portrait photographer Philippe Halsman for the International Center of Photography in New York, 1979.
Commissioned to document the making of the John Huston film Annie, along with William Eggleston, Stephen Shore, Joel Meyerowitz & Gary Winogrand. Project resulted in the book Annie on Camera, 1980.
Invited by the Venice in Peril Foundation to produce a body of work on the city of Venice for an exhibition held in conjunction with the Venice Biennale, 2011. Other artists included Candida Höfer, Philip-Lorca diCorcia, Nan Goldin & Lynne Cohen. A catalogue was published by Ivorypress titled Real Venice.
Invited to participate in the seminal exhibition Cartier-Bresson: A Question of Colour at Somerset House, London. 2012.
Other artists included Saul Leiter, Fred Herzog, Joel Meyerowitz, Ernst Haas, Harry Gruyaert, Alex Webb & Helen Levitt.
Commissioned by the McCord Museum in Montreal in 2019 to produce a photo documentation of the district of Griffintown as first of a series of exhibitions titled Montréal en mutation held from February 2020 to February 2021.
Magazine portfolios & reviews
Aperture, Artscanada, Artforum, Artsmagazine, American Photographer, Artystyczne, Border Crossings, British Journal of Photography, Canadian Art, CV, Creative Camera, Popular Photography, Foto Tapeta, Harpers, Kunstbeeld, Fotografia, Forma, Pismo, Parachute, Stern, London Magazine, View, & Trendy
- Bibliothéque nationale, Paris, France
- Maison europeenne de la photographie, Paris, France
- Musée de la photographie à Charleroi, Belgium
- Fotographie Forum International, Frankfurt, Germany
- Museum Jan Cunen, Oss, Netherlands
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London, England
- Musée de l’Elysée, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Kunsthaus Museum, Zurich, Switzerland
- Muzeum Sztuki, Łódź, Poland
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, Canada
- Musée d’art contemporain, Montreal, Canada
- Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography, Ottawa, Canada
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- Canada Council Art Bank, Ottawa, Canada
- Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, Canada
- Fundazione Georgio Cini, Venice, Italy
- McCord Museum, Montreal, Canada
Grants, prizes, awards
- Canada Council arts grants 1980, 1990, 2002, 2017
- Bursary from the Ministére des Affaires culturelles du Québec, 1995
- First prize for photography of cultural monument, Dept of Culture, City of Montreal, 2000
- Awarded silver medal from the National Magazine Foundation for best portfolio in Border Crossings magazine, 2002
- Color is Power nominated one of 100 best books of the year by the Globe & Mail, 2003
- American Photographer magazine selected Color is Power as one of season’s best photography books, 2003
- Nominated and elected into the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. 2005
- Shortlisted for the Scotiabank Photo Award, 2013